THE NEW BOOK OF THE LAW
[sources: The Book of The Law, The Old Laws for the Old Religion, The
Great Book of the Law, The Dragon Law]
Preface: In my years of teaching and running a group, I have always had
a dissatisfaction with the popular “Book of the Law” available to most
Seekers. I felt it to be too archaic in its wording and perspective —
and while it was valuable in the Burning Times, it simply does not deal
with the concerns and needs of “modern-day” Witches. Over the years I
became familiar with several other sets of Laws. Each of these had many
good points, yet they also had their disadvantages as well.
Recently, I decided to do something daring — I took the four different
versions of the Laws which I had, and combined and reworked them. I
deleted what was no longer pertinent or meaningful, rewording others to
make them clearer and more understandable, as well as throwing in a few
new ones which I felt had been lacking.
I believe that what has evolved out of this work is a set of Laws which
are readable, usable, and most importantly, pertinent to the needs of
today’s Witches and Neo-Pagans. It is with these thoughts and hopes
that I would like to share them with you. If you should find merit or
worth in them, then I will feel as though I have accomplished something.
The material in this booklet has not been copyrighted, so you may
reproduce the Laws for students or friends, or reprint them in your
publication. It is my sincere hope that the New Book of the Law will be
of use to the Craft Community.
Blessed Be, Lady Galadriel
1. The Laws were created to give our lives form and order, that all
might be balanced throughout all of the planes. In truth there are two
sets of laws which govern us — one sets forth the ways of the Wiccan,
and the other the ways of the Universe. Both are important, both should
be observed with respect and treated with honor. The Laws were shaped
and molded to teach us, to advise us, and to counsel us in our time of
mortal life on earth.
2. Honor the Gods, for They are the channels and the manifestation of
the Source. Honor yourself, for this force also lies within you. Love
the Gods as They love you, and by loving yourself and your brothers and
sisters, so the Gods shall honor you. As the love and joy of a man and
a woman [or “lover and beloved” — LAH] flowers and grows when nurtured
with respect, and cultivated with understanding and honor, so should
you love the Gods.
3. The Goddess is the Great Mother, and the God is the Great Father, and
we are Their children; and we shall worship Them, for They are the
rulers of the Universe, and all that is therein. Therefore, O Children
of the Gods, try Them not, nor attempt to test Them, for They shall
show you that he Ways of the Craft are not to be belittled or mocked.
4. Let the Power of the Craft flow from you only in love — or not at
all. For it has always been known that the energy webs which we weave
and maintain shall eventually return to encircle their creator. Thus
our works become either the net which entagles and binds us, or th eweb
of light by which we find the Gods.
5. Let the Rites of the Wicca be a way for the children of the Gods to
be as One — for Power only flows when unified. Always should you
revere the Earth, and heal and tend Her, for She is our life, our
Mothership, on which we navigate the dark currents of space.
6. When you reap the harvests of your lands, then you shall not reap one
corner of the field, nor glean the herb gardens, or the fallen fruits
of the orchards. These you shall offer to the Earth Mother, in direct
return, or through offerings made to your Circle, or to sustain its
Priests and Priestesses.
7. Always be proud to be of the Wicca, but do not allow your pride to
become vanity — for those who are conceited are a stubling block at
the door of the Temple, and they shall be cast adrift, to swim within
their own vanity.
8. Observe and listen, reserving your judgement, for until all the
silver is weighed, who can know the worth thereof?
9. As like breeds like, even more so does good beget love and joy. Your
life will be full of love and joy if you are joyful and happy.
10. Your teachers are the servants of the Gods, and they shall plant the
seeds of knowledge within the minds of their students, and they shall
use their power for the good of the Wicca. Yet it is each individual’s
duty to tend the seeds which are planted, and to make the final
harvest. Those who misuse the power and the trust of the teacher’s
position shall have to answer to the Lords of Karma, and adjust the
11. The Temples of the Gods, which are Their abode on Earth, shall
belong to all Their children, and each Circle shall be as a special
family. Do naught against any Temple or any family of the Wicca, lest
you do that thing unto the Gods, and against yourself.
12. You must not be a teller of tales amongst the children of the
Goddess, and you must hold no malice or evil thoughts towards others of
13. You should not lie, nor give false testimony before your Elders, or
those who are of the Wicca — for liars are fools, and a menace unto
themselves, and to the Wicca. Be truthful in all your works and deeds,
especially within the Circle, for what you say within the presence of
the Gods becomes manifest.
14. You must not put stumbling blocks in the way of those who do not
follow the Path of the Wicca. You must make no unrighteous judgements
of their ways, and you should aid them with an attitude of love when it
is asked for. Yet ever should you keep the Counsel of the Elders, and
reveal naught to others of where our Circles may be, nor may you reveal
our ways without the consent of the Priestess.
15. When you make a vow to the Lord or the Lady, or you swear an oath to
another of the Wicca, then you must do all that has come forth from your
mouth, for a covenant with the Gods, or with the Wicca, is your Honor,
and woe to those who care not for the fetters they attach to their
souls by not keeping their word.
16. The Great Mother and Father would not have their children suffer
the indignities of oppressors for their sake, for what is within the
hearts of Their children is dear and true to Them. The Ancient and
Mighty Ones shall cause the balance to be made for those who desecrate
the Lord and Lady, Their temples, or Their creations.
17. Never shall you use Magick, nor the Craft, to cause harm, for this
is misuse of the Power, and it is not to be condoned. To cause the
death of another through the Craft is to require the death of the Self
18. Never betray any of the brethren, nor the lore of our people, for
you are all servants of the Gods, and must live by the virtues of love,
honor and wisdom. Let truth, loyalty and honor be your creed. Let them
be your guides, tempered by love and wisdom.
19. The Order of the Gods shall you keep, and within Their Circles shall
you walk. You should not say “I believe” when you doubt, nor claim to
obey the Lord and Lady’s word when you never enter into the Temple. You
must not profess with your lips that which is not in your heart.
20. Do not use the names of the Gods in negative or evil ways, for They
love and cherish Their children above all others. All others They
love, even those who know them not. Yet those who hate and curse in
Their name shall have the Mighty Ones take the measure of their worth.
21. In any disputes between the children of the Goddess, no one may
invoke any laws but those of the Craft, or any tribunal but that of
Priestess, Priest, and Elders.
22. No one of the Wicca may do anything which will endagner the Craft,
nor bring any of the Wicca into conflict with the Law of the Land, or
with any of our persecutors.
23. Your magickal tools are channels to that which is most precious and
pure within you. Do not cheapen them by haggling their price when you
24. Never accept money for the use of the Power. It is sorcerors and
charlatans who accept money for their spells and prayers. If you accept
no money, you will be free from the temptation to use the Craft for evil
or unworthy causes.
25. You shall never take unduly from any human, animal or elemental that
which is not yours to take — for if you steal from another, in the end
you will have to sacrifice something dearer to you in order to attain
26. Show honor to all people, that they may look up to you, and respect
you, and their eyes shall become a mirror for your soul.
27. Those who are of the Wicca shall not own slaves, for one person may
not own the spirit of another, for only the Great Mother and Father own
our souls. Nor shall you take as a pledge any person’s life, for to do
so is to take upon yourself both a mill and a millstone.
28. If a stranger sojourns with you, you shall do them no wrong; they
shall be as one of the Circle, born amongst ye, and you shall deal with
them as you would yourself.
29. Just weights and just balances shall be given by you, and just value
shall you give, and thereby receive threefold.
30. Your altars shall be kept clean, pure and holy, and all that is
brought into the Temple or the Circle shall be cleansed and blessed, for
the joy of the Gods, and of the Wicca.
31. A clean mind should have a clean body. You should keep your body,
your clothes, and your house clean, in honor of the Mother, who gives
these things to you.
32. Let none die without honor, without love, without respect, unless
their actions have decreed otherwise.
33. You should not couple together if it shall cause pain, jealousy or
deprivation to another by doing so. Union for malice or evil reasons
such as these upsets the balance, and the Lords of the Universe shall
make adjustments accordingly.
34. Let those who would love, and would be as one, and bear child, be
handfasted. For the sharing of love in this manner is beauteous, and
love’s union in the energy of the Gods, and the heritage of the child.
It is important for children to know and to identify with those who
brought them here.
35. The Law of the Goddess is that none of the Wicca shall take and wed
someone who they do not love, whether it is to harm another, or for
some form of material gain.
36. Remember that your children are Goddess-spawned, and are free
spirits. You do not own nor control them. They are your brethren,
come to visit for a while, that they may share in the vision of your
love and wisdom. Let each parent realize that although they may teach
and guide with love, the child shall also teach the parent, and aid them
in their growth and lesson
37. The etheric web and energy vortexes of the earth are in constant
flux and motion to adjust to the needs of the planet. The sacred trust
of the Wicca is to create and to maintain centers of light and
knowledge, using the magick of the divine spark within us to focus and
channel the forces of the Universal fire. And these are the channels
established between the worlds of the stars and the realms of the earth,
bringing in and regulating the spirit flames which energize and activate
all life forms. Thus we tend and guard the threads of creation, and we
weave the patterns of life and manifestation in an ever-evolving
38. Never use your heritage or position for self-glorification or gain.
Respect your magick and our ways. We must always recognize that while
others may look to us to lead them, they too are our guides.
39. Keep yor body strong, your mind keen, and your purpose pure, for
within your being you shall channel the Power, and it needs to be strong
and pure. And these are the keys to the path of Oneness, and to
communication with the Gods. Yet first you must learn to speak to Them
in such a manner as They can comprehend you. For the children of the
Wicca must aid the Gods, and work with Them, otherwise the Gods cannot
aid and work with you. Ever remember that the Priest and Priestess are
the living representatives of the God and Goddess Forces, and likewise
that all humans carry these forces within them, though they may lie
dormant and unawakened.
40. As the Great Mother and Father come unto one another and create with
the pure vibration of Love-Wisdom, so should you strive to make your
Temple pure in vibration, and thus a fitting place wherein you may
invite the Gods. Thus, your Circle should always be duly purified and
cast, and likewise, those who would use the gateways and travel the
Circle between the earth and other realms should also be duly prepared
41. The Goddess hath said, “I shall not carry thee, yet neither shall I
hinder thee, nor keep thee from having the same opportunities as all of
my children. Thou art free, yet thou shalt not be coddled like babes in
the storm. If thou hast true devotion within thee, then all obstacles
may be overcome.”
42. The laggard is but half a person — and though half is better than
none, the whole is twice as good as the half. Those who do not work, or
who lack the will and desire to learn the ways of the Gods, unto them is
said, “The Ancient and Mighty Ones shall not keep thee within their
house, if ye learneth not.”
43. A sanctuary you shall make unto the Gods, that They may dwell
amongst you. And you shall fashion it to the best of your ability,
according to all tha your Elders shall show you, and pure energy shall
you place therein.
44. An altar shall you make to unto the Lady, and you shall make due
reverence unto Her, for every place where She is exalted, She will come
to you and bless you. And you shall fashion your altar out of wood or
stone, and burn incense and candles thereon, at the proper times, in
observance of her ways.
45. You should set aside at least one day during each moon unto the
Goddess, and on these days you shall do Her work; and on those days She
shall renew Her children and bless them.
46. Learn to build your own Temple, and to craft your own sacred Circle,
and all the tools that are used therein — for to be a person of the
Craft is to be a person of consequence.
47. Let each of you inscribe your own record of our ways and teachings.
For the course of each Wiccan should be charted, that the patterns of
their life-web may be made known and utilized. Let each Wiccan start
their Book of Light with the teachings and lore of their tradition, yet
let it also contain the rites and ways of each individual, which are the
harvest of each child of the Wicca, to use the wisdom of their heritage
as the seeds of their own wisdom. Thus shall our lore and knowledge
continue to grow and unfold, like a beautiful flower.
48. It is right to study and to understand the sigils, statues and
stories of the Gods, for they shall guide your thoughts to Them, and
They shall hear them. Yet you must ever remember that you worship not
the sign nor the statue, but the Gods which inspired them.
49. If your Circle owns any land, let all guard it, and help to keep it
clean. Let all justly guard all monies of the Circle, as well as the
rights and property of all members of the Circle.
50. If any Wiccan truly labors, then it is right that they should have
their just pay. This is not considered the taking of money for the Art,
but good and honest work. Yet if any Wiccan works willingly for the
good of the Craft, or for their brothers and sisters without pay, then
it is to their greatest honor.
51. If any Wiccan should deny themselves some pleasure or material
indulgence in order to do service in the Circle, this person shall be
blessed and remembered. For those who give for the greater good of all
shall have their spirit uplifted.
52. Know also that if you gift the Lady’s Priests and Priestesses, or
Her Circles, this is an offering made unto the Mother Herself, for a
true Priest or Priestess strives always to do Her work, and to be of
service to Her children, so to honor and respect them is to honor and
respect the Queen of All.
53. And the offerings which are considered the most pleasing to the Gods
are these: the fruits of the orchards the scents of the trees and herbs
the metals of the earth the waters of the earth the flowers of the
meadows and the milk of all mothers. Yet offerings of labor or money are
honest too, and these will also be accepted — moreso if you work with
love in your heart, for always there is work to be done for the Gods,
and service to be given to the children of the Wicca.
54. If your offerings are made to restore the balance, it must by of a
nature that it not offensive to the Gods. It must be of value, yet
given with a free heart. Thus shall the harmony be restored. If your
offerings are given with a heart filled with love and devotion, or are
of service to the Gods, or to the Craft, then shall you receive
55. And when you make an offering unto the Gods, you should offer it
thru the most proper medium, at the proper times, and in such a manner
as to make it acceptable. Any and all remains of the rituals shall be
consumed in the fire, or buried within the Earth, as a way of returning
to the Source all that we use in the observance of our ways, thus
ensuring the continuity of the cycle.
56. All may use the Craft to help and aid them, or for the advantage of
their Circle, or the Craft — yet only if you are sure that you harm
none. Let each Wiccan and Circle always debate these matters at length.
Only if all be satisfied that none be harmed in any way, may the Art
then be used. If it is not possible to achieve your ends one way, then
perhaps the goal may be achieved by actng in a different way, so as to
57. Throughout the world it has been many a year since Wiccans have been
burned. Yet misuse of the Power might raise the persecutions once
again. So never break the Laws, however much you might be tempted, and
never consent to their being broken. And if you know they are being
broken, then you must work strongly against it.
58. In days of old it was decided by the Mighty Ones who came before us
that the Art might be used to restrain others from harming the Craft or
its children, yet only after great consultation with all members of the
Circle, and only then to deflect or to constrain them.
59. And such were the ways of the Lady that She brought us forth in joy,
and such were the Ways of the Lord that His reign gave all life
pleasure. Offer love in your worship and all shall be joyous in beauty.
60. In the dimly remembered dawn of ages past, the Wicca were truly
free. Then, in Atlantis came the Age of the Misuse of Power, followed by
the Ages of Persecution and Suffering. Thus the people of the Wicca hid
themselves and cloaked their knowlege, and wove veils of secrecy and
silence. And this is how the Ways of the Wicca have been preserved
through the time of darkness. Yet much of the ways of our people were
lost to the ignorance of others.
61. Yet the cycle spirals ever on — and the Age of the Earth Mother
once again draws nigh. We must be strong — one with our birthright,
and one with our Gods, if we are to bring forth the balance. Those who
would harm us, or attempt to enslave us, we must overcome — yet only
through light and love, and never through violence or the evil of chaos.
And through our efforts the time of our people will come into being once
more. In the times which lie ahead, there lies much work to be done, so
that once more the cycles of life are drawn to the path of light, and
the balance acheived through the power of love.
62. In order to bring the ways of Light and Love and Life to the peoples
of the Earth, our secrets are slowly becoming secrets no more, and it is
good that this is so — for the age of shadow and secrecy is passing.
Yet the sharing of our ways needs always to be guided by wisdom and by
love. Let our rites and our mysteries be kept sacred. Let no one
defile our worship or our heritage. For the defilement of our ways is
an honor loss to self, and for the Craft.
63. Let each High Priestess govern her Circle with justice and Love, and
with the help and advice of the Elders and the High Priest, always
heeding the messages of the Gods when they come.
64. Ever remember that although the Priest is the force with which the
Circle is built, the Priestess is the ruler therein — for it is through
her that the Goddess created the world, and all things therein.
65. The High Priestess will heed all complaints of all Pagans and
Wiccans, and strive to settle any differences between them with reason
and with justice.
66. Let each Circle of Light decide how it shall be known — whether by
earthly name or magickal one. For each child of the Wicca knows best
the safety or dangers of their homeland.
67. Let each Circle or Temple maintain and dedicate unto the Goddess and
the God all the things that are required for Their rituals, for what is
blessed in the name of the Gods rightly belongs to Them, and the Priest
and Priestess shall be the caretakers thereof.
68. Anyone of the circle who is of sufficient rank, and wishes to form a
new Circle, shall tell the High Priestess and the Elders of their
intentions. Members of the old Circle may join the new Circle when it is
formed, but if they do so they must leave the other Circle, unless
otherwise instructed. For it is the Old Law that each Wiccan may join
the Circle of their choice, yet their energy should not be divided
between two or more Temples.
69. The Elders of the old and new Circles shall meet in peace and with
respect, to decide the level of interaction and connection between the
Circles. Yet it is known that the splitting of a Circle often means
strife. So only if it is truly in a spirit of peace and harmony should
the Circles meet for the celebration of the Great Festivals.
70. None shall enter the Circle that have a sickness or an ailment which
may be passed on to the Lady’s other children — for to do so causes
harm to yourself, as well as to the others of the Circle. Rather should
the Healers go unto the sick one, that through the love of the Gods they
shall be made well and whole once more.
71. It has been judged lawful that if any of the Craft need a house, or
land, and none will sell, to incline someone’s mind so as to be willing
to sell, providing it harms none and the full price is paid without
72. In the matter of quarrels or disputes between the members of the
Circle, the High Priestess shall convene the Council, and inquire into
the matter. The Council shall hear each person privately, and then both
together. And they shall decide justly, not favoring one side nor the
73. If an agreeable resolution cannot be reached, then that Wiccan must
leave the Circle, for a Circle of Light cannot be properly formed where
there is disagreement and discord. And when a Circle is not properly
formed, the energy within is either dissipated, or turns ugly, festering
like a hidden sore. So let them leave, but only with love in their
hearts and yours, for even though your paths may diverge, you are still
all children of the Wicca, and there must be no violence between us.
Bear no grudges, hold no thoughts of vengeance, for this will rot away
the foundation of your power.
74. It has ever been recognized that there are some people who can never
agree to work under any others. At the same time there are also people
who cannot rule justly. To those who must ever be chief there is but
one answer: “Void this Circle, and seek another one, or if ye be of
sufficient rank, then form a Circle of your own.” To those who cannot
rule justly, the answer shall be “Those who cannot bear your rule will
leave you.” For none may come to Circle with those with whom they are
at variance, for to do so angers the Gods, and hinders the Craft.
75. Those that do wrong without knowlege shall be held innocent; those
that do wrong through carelessness shall be judged lacking in wisdom,
and dealt with according to the nature of the transgression. Those who
do wrong with deliberation and forethought shall be thrice punished, and
the Lords of Karma shall lay low their pride.
76. Each person must make a balance for their words and actions, and the
judgements of the Elders should incline to try to make good come from
the injustice or wrong-doing. Many are the ways to restore the balance,
so let the judgements of the Elders and the Priestess be in keeping with
77. Do not turn aside those who seek the ways of the Wicca for the want
of an offering or the lack of a robe. You are the servants of the Gods,
and the servants of Their people, and those that seek for the Gods you
must aid in their quest.
78. Of those who would inquire as to the ways of the Goddess, or who
wish to become of the Wicca, ye shall search their hearts, and even into
their spirits you shall look, as you are able. For the Wicca do not
look to acquire mere numbers. Let none be turned away if their hearts
are true, and their desire earnest.
79. The hidden children are like the strings of a harp: each one may
give a clear note, and when gathered together in sympathy and accord,
they shall give rise to a beautiful symphony. Yet when struck without
reason or thought, these notes may cause discord or disharmony.
Therefore the Gods decree to Their Teachers and Priests that all must be
taught to master their harp, and to pluck their strings with care, that
they cause no discord or imbalance.
80. Choose the Priests and Teachers of the Wicca with diligence and with
care. The qualities that you should search for within them are Faith,
Belief, Knowledge, Ability, Patience, Leadership, Humility, and a loving
nature — for they must lead and teach the children of the Goddess, and
will thereby have the power to do great good, or to cause great
81. In practice it should be that the greatest of the Priests and
Priestesses should guide the rituals within each of the Temples of the
Old Gods, and truly you should be content with the advice and guidance
given by them. Yet ever it should be given so that it is clear and
understandable, for within the Temple each of the Wicca is free, and
thus they should be able to recognize and to understand our ways and
their implications. And those who cannot explain the inner workings, or
give just cause and reason for their decisions, may be questioned, or
the wisdom of the advice weighed.
82. Let the Priestess and Priest lead as long as they are able, and
their leadership be wise and strong, and to the benefit of the Wicca.
Yet if their health is ill-favored, or if the next generation needs to
try their hand, then let them have the vision and the wisdom to step
away from their position, and pass the duties of the Circle t o another.
Let them not become overly attached to the office, nor too fond of the
83. If a Priestess or a Priest should tire of their duties and charges,
then they may step down, but only after having trained and acknowledged
a successor. If a Priest or Priestess deserts their Circle, then they
have lost the right to ever lead again within this life, so great a
trust they have broken. If they should return to the Circle within one
turn of the Wheel, and are judged to have true atonement in their
hearts, new insight and growth, then they may be forgiven, and allowed
to return to the Circle, yet they shall worship only, and hold no office
or title. Leadership is a sacred commitment and an honor, and they have
shown that they cannot be trusted with such responsibility.
84. Any Priestess, Priest, or Elder who consents to a breach of the Laws
regarding the use of the Craft to cause harm to others must immediately
be relieved of their office, for it is the lives of the children of the
Goddess which they endanger, as well as the honor of the Craft.
85. The High Priestess may take a Sabbatical from her Circle, if her
personal life and duties require it, for up to a year and a day. During
that time, the Maiden shall act as High Priestess. If the High
Priestess does not return at the end of a year and a day, then the
Initiates of the Circle shall name a new Priestess. Unless there is
good reason to the contrary, the person who has done the work of the
Priestess should reap the reward. If someone else is named, then the
Maiden should continue in that office.
86. Each Priestess and Priest shall choose their own consorts, yet let
them be wise in the learning of our people, and thus others shall abide
by the wisdom of their choice. Yet if the Circle feels the decision is
ill-advised, or that they cannot abide and work in honor and trust with
that consort, then they may request a gathering of all concernted to
meet and to talk, and to resolve the balance with love and honor. For
only those who are pure and strong, keen and wise, patient and loving,
can effectively and properly carry out the duties of a Keeper of the
87. Those of the Priesthood shall not neglect their mates, or their
children, or their house, nor anything which is in their possession; nor
shall the sick and the needy be neglected for the sake of the Circle.
Therefore let them adjust the one thing against the other, that neither
should suffer, and that which is given by the Gods is treated with love
88. Long ago, at the time of Creation, it was deemed that the female
should hold the power of life-giving. And such was the male force drawn
to the love and beauty of the Creation of life, that he surrenders unto
her keeping the force of his powers in the furtherance of life. Yet the
Priestess must always remember that the fuel of the flames which light
the fires within her Temple comes from the Priest. Thus she must use
the force wisely, and only with love, and she must honor and respect he
who is the activator of the Life Force.
HERE ENDS THE NEW BOOK OF THE LAW.
Published by: The Grove of the Unicorn PO Box 13384 Atlanta, GA 30324
Ordering Information: Send Legal size SASE A small contribution towards
printing/handling costs will be appreciated.
To this I would add only one more admonishment, based on my own
experience: It is as important not to take oneself, one’s power, and
one’s Craft too seriously as it is not to take them too lightly.
Moderation in all things, including moderation. And remember that all
acts of love and pleasure are the rites of the Goddess, and this
includes HAVING FUN.
B*B Leigh Ann
You must be logged in to post a comment.