RITUAL DEDICATING YOUR RUNES
Start with a set of 24 blank Runes of your choice from any material you are comfortable with and begin to inscribe or dedicate them. If your set is already inscribed, then you will begin the dedication ritual. Remember you can do this in a 24 hour period or over a 24 day period. Always begin with the First Aett and first Rune Feoh. Then continue with the Second Aett and then the Third Aett till you have completed either one Rune per hour or one Rune per day. The corresponding hour to begin a 24 hour dedication would be to start at 12 noon and finish 12 noon the next day. For a 24 day dedication start on a New Moon or Full Moon (After viewing Moon Calender, make sure you use “Back” to return to this page!) as the first day and continue for 24 days. During either vigil, write down your very own thoughts and feelings about each Rune as you also study many different books and versions written by other people.
Make sure you have the proper tools handy to inscribe your Runes properly. You might burn, etch, engrave, gouge, paint, hammer, draw, or cut the runes onto the appropriate material of your choice.
Whether you dedicate store bought runes or the ones you made yourself, follow this ritual or write your own to dedicate each Rune according to your very own spiritual path.
1. Center and ground yourself.
2. Thank your Higher power(s) Odin/Woden, Freja, Thor, Norns, or favorite Norse God/dess and the Nine Worlds as you light your incense, candles or smudge sticks. The Norse traditions always starts with the North, so face North! Put your shield or cone of protection up.
3. Dedicate your Rune with it’s appropriate name. Repeat the name inside your head as you inscribe your Rune. Imprint yourself with it’s name, e.g. “This Rune is Feoh.” Keep repeating the name until you are finished inscribing.
4. Once the Rune is inscribed or ready to dedicate, hold it up, look at it, and say it’s name our loud three times. Then while still holding that Rune say it’s meaning out loud three times. Then say the Rune’s name plus the meaning three times. Write this down in your journal along with the date and time. Then write down whatever comes to your mind and the research you have done on this Rune.
5. Meditate the meaning of the Rune as you write. Clear your head of undesirable junk and see the impressions of the Rune come to mind in either symbolic archetypical or spiritual images. Hold them in your head, remember them and write them down.
6. Thank your higher powers Odin/Woden, Freja, Thor, Norns, other favorite Norse God/ess and protector; thank and bless the Nine Worlds, for their protection and insight; snuff out the candles, incense and/or smudge sticks.
7. Keep this journal containing your impressions from this sacred dedication. Remember the story of how Odin received these Runes. Remember that the Norn Sisters of Wyrd were there when Odin received the Runes.
I absolutely cannot condone a fast while doing a dedication of the Runes although some people like to experience what Woden/Odin did as a Shaman. I have done both the 24 hour and 24 day rituals and I recommend the 24 day dedication ritual for most people. You will have more time to memorize the runes and get acquainted with them. Staying awake for 24 hours is difficult and must be planned when it won’t interfere with one’s work or academic schedule. The plus side to staying awake for 24 hours is that you will probably experience a Shaman experience as the result of sleep deprivation.
Courtesy of the World of Wyrd