Magickal Goody of the Day
John the Conqueror Oil traditionally consists of broken pieces of John the Conqueror root (Ipomoea jalapa or I.purga) steeped in Almond or another vegetable carrier oil that has been tinted purple (or yellow); it is customary to add essential oils as fragrance to suit. The oil can also be made with powdered I. jalapa root. Some folks strain it afterward. To enhance the actual weird scent of John the Conqueror root, from which no essential oil can be extracted, Incompound a “woodsy blend” scent, such as Cedarwood and Vetivert, which smells quite a lot like the John the Conqueror root itself. This fragrance is NOT part of the “Magick” in the oil, but it does serve as a re-enforcer of what the real root smells like.
Let the root fragments and/or powder sit in the oil blend at least a week before use — a month is better. The root is traditionally left in the bottle as it is used. If you are making up small bottles (e.g. a dram vial or 1/2 oz. bottle), you should put two or three pieces of root in each bottle. If you work out of a large stock bottle (e.g. 4 oz. or 16 oz.) be sure to refresh the root with new pieces each time you top up the bottle.
BEWARE commercial John the Conqueror and High Conquering oils! They rarely have the root in them. all you have to do is look in the bottle: If there is no root in it, and it was made in a factory, it’s very likely a fake.
Gemstone of the Day
(Color: includes colorless, blue-green, blue, yellow, light green and rarely purple)
Named from the Greek words “eu” meaning “well” and “klasis” meaning “breaking,”
Specific Gravity: 3.09 – 3.11 (slightly above average)
Chemistry: BeAlSiO4OH, Beryllium Aluminum Silicate Hydroxide
Cleavage: perfect in one direction (prismatic), poor in two other directions.
Healing: Euclase is called the happiness stone. It increases happiness by stimulating activity ruled by the heart and intuition. It is used to provide relief from various aches and pains such as cramps, muscle tension, inflammation and bruises.
Workings: Use in employment and love spells. An excellent stone for use in communication skills. Astrological signs are Virgo and Sagittarius. It vibrates to the number 3.
Chakra Applications: Euclase stimulates the crown, throat, and heart chakras.
Foot Notes: Euclase gets its name from its easy cleavage, euclase simply means easily cleaved. Euclase is found in granitic pegmatites with other gem minerals such as topaz and beryl. The crystals of euclase are commonly prismatic with slanted termination faces.
Website: The Whispering Woods
Herb of the Day
Medicinal Uses: Barley is the most alkaline of the cereals and is rich in magnesium. Contains the alkaloid “hordenine” which is diuretic and mildly relaxing. Barley water used for coughs, poor appetite, recurrent diarrhea in children, catarrhal inflamed bowel, stomach irritation and digestion during convalescence.
Barley is used to clean out the arteries and valves around the heart that have become clogged with fat buildup.
It is used for urinary cystitis particularly in females ( Boil till soft and strain the liquid and flavor with a little lemon juice or cinnamon or fresh fruit juice.) Barley water is a skin freshener which cleanses and softens the skin. To make; simmer 3 tbsp. barley in 3 cups water for an hour. Strain and cool. Rinse off face after using and refrigerate the barley water.
Magickal uses: Use Barley when performing Love, Healing, or Protection spells. Feminine. A toothache can be cured with barley. To free yourself from pain, wrap a straw of barley around a stone while visualizing the pain into the stone. Next throw the stone into a river (or any running water) and see your pain ‘being washed away’. Scatter on the ground to keep evil and negativity away. Venus (Deity)
Properties: demulcent, digestant, carminative, nutritive, tissue healing, expectorant, abortifacient, febrifuge, stomachic, tonic, , soothes irritated tissues, stimulates appetite, suppresses lactation.
Contains Amylase, invertase, dextrin, phospholipid, riboflavin, pyridoxine, maltose, glucose, Iron, sulfur, phosphorus, magnesium, niacin, protein, vitamin B1,
Growth: An annual grass growing to a height of 1½ to 3 feet. The stout simple stem (culm) is hollow and jointed. The narrow tapering leaves with pronounced ‘ear’ appendages are alternate and arise on stems in 2 ranks. They form loose sheaths around the stem. The flowers appear in bristly terminal spikes.
Not to be fed to nursing mothers; suppresses lactation.
Method 1 = Add 10 parts washed pearl barley to 100 parts water and boil for 20 minutes. Strain. Dose is 1 to 4 oz.
Method 2 = Boil 2 oz pearl barley for a few minutes in a little water; then strain and add barley to 4 pints of boiling water and boil till water is reduced to 2 pints. Add lemon juice or raisins (if desired) 10 minutes before cooking is completed.
Method 3 = Soak 1/2 lb. barley in 1 quart water for 12 hours or simmer till soft. Strain and sweeten with honey if desired. Give several cups per day.
Method 4 = Wash 2 oz. of barley, then discard the water. Boil briefly in 1 pint of water, then discard the water again. Place barley in 4 pints of water and add lemon peel; boil down to 2 pints; strain and add 2 oz of honey to the water.
Method 5 = 4 oz. whole barley, 2 oz honey, lemon peel (washed), 1/2 lemon. Add 1 pint of water to the barley, lemon and lemon peel. Simmer till soft, then remove from heat and let stand. Strain and add honey.
Compound Barley water – 2 pints barley water, 1 pint hot water, 2½ oz. sliced figs, 1/2 oz sliced and bruised licorice root, 2½ oz. raisins. Boil down to 2 pints and strain.
Barley Broth – Simmer 1 cup of barley in 6 cups of water. Bring water to boil for 2 minutes, then let stand for 15 minutes. Strain out barley and set aside. The water should be drunk during convalescence. The barley can also be eaten (can be blended with honey to give a pudding-like flavor).
Decoction – Wash 2 oz. of barley with cold water, then boil in 1 cup of water for a few minutes. Discard water and boil barley in 4 pints of water till reduced to 2 pints. Strain and use.
Website: The Whispering Woods
Deity of the Day
Areas of Influence: Pomona was one of the Numina, the Roman guardian spirits who watched over people, homes and special places. She protected fruiting trees and gardens.
She is an agricultural Goddess , responsible for the care and cultivation of fruit trees and orchards. Her name is actually derived from the Latin word pomun, meaning fruit. Her dedication to her work left her little time for love. She turned down the offers of marriage from Silvanus and Picus but was eventually tricked into marriage by Vertumnus. This deity was served by high priests known as Flamen Pomonalis in a sacred grove known as the Pomonal.
Origins and Genealogy: I can find no references to her parents, siblings and children.
Strengths: A nurturer, dedicated to her job. As a fertility Goddess she represented abundance.
Weaknesses: So busy looking after her trees that she has little time for herself.
Symbolism: A popular figure in art she is shown as a beautiful Goddess carrying a knife to prune with and a platter of fruit or a cornucopia.
Sacred Animal/Bird/Plant: Apples.
Festival: A feast was held annually on the November 1st when apples, nuts and grapes were consumed to celebrate the harvest.
Unlike many of the Roman Goddesses she has no specific Greek equivalent.
The Mother is a life-giver and the source of nurturing, devotion, patience and unconditional love. The ability to forgive and provide for her children and put them before herself is the essence of a good mother.
In its shadow aspect the Mother can be devouring, abusive and abandoning. The shadow Mother can also make her children feel guilty about becoming independent and leaving her. It is not necessary to be a biological Mother to have this stereotype. It can refer to anyone who has a lifelong pattern of nurturing and devotion to living things.
As Goddess of the harvest she represents the Mother Archetype as she nurtures the fruits, trees and the plants in the garden.
How to Work With This Archetype
You are exhibiting the features of the shadow Mother if you smother your children and are over protective. Encourage independence and allow children to make mistakes but be available to give care and advice when it’s needed.
The other shadow Mother is the one that abandons her children, or is so busy that she has no time for nurturing her young.
Spell To Free Oneself From Excessive Computer Enchantment
Ian Lurking Bear
Many good folk have found themselves ensnared in a growing web of computer generated artifice and glamour. While computers are sometimes a useful tool, one must take care to have a healthy relationship with them. If you have found that they seem to be draining your time and energy away, or slowly invading your soul, then this spell is for you. If you are seeing pixels, icons, and dialog boxes in your dreams, it may already be too late, but give this spell a try anyway.
- Seat your self comfortably in front of your computer, turn it on, and start one of your favorite programs. Light a candle somewhere in plain view. Non photo blue is the best color for the candle, though any color will do.
- Breathe deeply in sets of five breaths until you feel light headed and jumpy. (Actually other numbers than five will work. It is important that the number be greater than three and NOT a power of two (2,4,8,16… etc) since computers are ruled by powers of two. Prime numbers work best, since computers have the least power over prime numbers, a basic principle of computer cryptography.) Squirm in your seat and giggle if you feel the need to do so.
- Visualize a vast web of connection flowing through the computer screen to all the others who are on line, especially your on line friends and relations. If appropriate, see if you can become erotically aware of any of them in this process.
- You are now ready to employ the mantra for this working. The mantra comes from one of techno-culture’s wise elders and prophets, Marshall McLuhan. It is as follows: “The medium is the message.” Breathe deeply five times again and begin to do things on the computer. Chant “The medium is the message.”, click the mouse or type a word, and chant the mantra again, until you have repeated the mantra five times. Focus on the image of the screen independent of any assigned meaning it may have. If may be helpful to set text on the screen to a nonsense font such as Symbol or Dingbats, if possible. Lean back and let your hands fall away from the keyboard or mouse while scrying into the screen. Be open to whatever messages it has for you.
- Breath in sets of five again, and focus your attention at the candle flame. When you are ready, chant the mantra “The medium is the message.” five times at the flame, pausing to breathe three times between each repeat. Relax, and continue to focus on the flame. Be open to whatever messages it has for you.
- If you had trouble focusing on the candle flame due to distraction from the computer screen, or if you feel that this exercise has been ridiculous and ineffectual so far, you may wish to attempt the following visualization. If you are feeling relaxed and empowered at this stage, you *should* skip to the next step.
- The visualization:
Close your eyes and breath deeply to enter a trance state.
Imagine a vast musty space such as the interior of a warehouse. Feel the air currents, smell the slightly stale air, hear the faint reverberations.
You are flying through this vast space in the darkness on moth wings. Two glowing lights can be seen, and you fly toward one of them. The light is dazzling and flickering like the beating of your wings. It is colorful and dancing. You try to grow closer to this light, but a hard layer of glass holds you back. You beat against the glass desperately, seeking a way around it. Finally you fall back from it exhausted.
You then see the other light again, and it is warm, sensuous, and undulating. You fly toward its friendlier glow. This new glow envelops and welcomes you until suddenly in a hot flash, it has engulfed you, and all sign of the previous flickering light is overwhelmed in a pulsating wave of ecstasy. The glowing light is all, and the heat unbearable.
Then there is a sudden coolness and the light shatters into millions of stars in the blackness of space. Your ashes float through space until they start falling toward a beautiful blue green planet. You fall through its atmosphere and into the clouds. The clouds rain on the ground below and you are carried by the cool water into the rich welcoming earth where seeds sleep ready to burst forth in new growth. Realize that this earth is the same as the ground beneath you, and return to the room, opening your eyes if haven’t already.
Yes, if the simpler part of this spell doesn’t seem to be working, really DO this visualization. Just reading it as a story will not have the same effect. If this doesn’t shake your soul loose from the screen, you may wish to seek a friendly exorcist. In any case, continue to the next step.
- Turn the computer off. A complete power down, including the monitor. Come on, you can do it. If any internal voices are telling you not to bother with this step, examine where they are coming from and what motivates them.
- Return to the candle. Visualize a vast web of connection flowing from the candle flame to others you know, spanning across the earth. If appropriate, see if you can become erotically aware of any of these others in this process. When you feel you have extended this visualization as far as is comfortable, pull slowly back to yourself and the room you are in.
- Relax and meditate on what you have experienced so far for about five minutes. Even if all you have experienced is amusement or boredom, take note of this, and reflect upon it.
- Get up and stretch thoroughly. Open a window or door to the outside, even if you have to walk a long way to do this, and offer a breath to the spirit of the wind. Look up to the sky, and down toward the earth. If any energy feels excessive, wound up, or nervous, let this flow down to the earth.
- Cleansing afterward is recommended. A white sage smudge and/or a calming bath would help accomplish this, for example.
- If you have experienced anything noteworthy, write about this, by hand, away from your computer.
- Rinse, repeat as needed.
All rites reversed, copy this rite anywhere. To obtain the author’s blessing for this, spin three times clockwise and tap a nearby piece of wood.
The Words of Confucius
Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage.
Your Daily Influences
August 20, 2015
Ace of Pentacles
Prosperity, pleasure and beauty can be realized.
Berkano is the Rune of birth and rebirth. This may symbolize a time when you are capable of great personal growth. Love may be in the air as well.
Scorpio the Scorpion
This aspect of your life will be strongly influenced by a person who is determined, forceful, emotional, intuitive, powerful, passionate, exciting and magnetic. This person is probably an acquaintance you made at work.
Your Daily Influences represent events and challenges the current day will present for you. They may represent opportunities you should be ready to seize. Or they may forewarn you of problems you may be able to avoid or lessen. Generally it is best to use them as tips to help you manage your day and nothing more.
Your Daily Charm for Today
Over the next weeks and months this aspect should be one that requires little effort on your part to keep things moving forward. This is one of the few charms that has the same meaning upright or inverted.
This curiously shaped charm, a pre-Christian cross, has been universally popular in all countries and throughout all ages. The Ancients believed that it bestowed upon the wearer long life, great happiness, good fortune, and the best of good luck. These symbols have been found in North and South America, India and China, where they were used as religious emblems at least ten centureies B.C. and are met with on very old Buddhist coins and inscriptions. The Swastika is also called the Gammadion, from the Greek letter gamma placed together four times.
Your Red Dragon Reading for Today
The Red Dragon represents success, achievement and fulfillment. The three tiles under the Red Dragon tile will influence the power your Red Dragon currently has in your life.
Symbol: The Fisherman
The tile of The Fisherman suggests success can be attained through the application of common sense and careful management of your time and relationships. The Fisherman is thorough and patient. He knows that while his efforts will be rewarded as long as he does not give up.
The Phoenix tile indicates great happiness and joy. The Phoenix is said to be reborn out its ashes. Accordingly the Phoenix tile also denotes sure recovery from any setbacks encountered.
The Plum tile reflects renewal and viewing your world with fresh viewpoints. It is an inherently “happy” tile. The Plum tile also suggests inexperience—a trait you must not allow to make you an easy target.
Your Daily Tile
August 20th, 2015
The Green Dragon tile suggests the time has come for you to begin a new project, or take your life in a new direction.