PURPOSE To advance spiritual development and attain wisdom
BACKGROUND At Mabon, the hours of daylight and darkness are balanced before darkness prevails. Around this time, many trees shed leaves, fruits, and seed, and nature prepare for the deep cold of winter. There are numerous world myths to explain this seasonal change, many involving a descent into the underworld, to the land of the dead.
HOW TO CAST THE SPELL
TIMING Cast this spell at Mabon
CASTING THE SPELL
As part of your Mabon celebrations, and in a properly prepared circle, work as follows:
1. Light the charcoal disk, then the candle saying:
“I call upon Inanna, Queen of Heaven
Earth, and the land of the dead.
Wise beyond reckoning
To bless my spirit quest
and guide my footsteps
through the darkness.”
2. Sprinkle the dittany onto the charcoal.
3. Slice open the pomegranate, then extract six stones and eat them.
4. Close your eyes. Imagine yourself sinking into the darkness behind your eyelids, going deep into the dark, where there is nothing but silence. Remain there for as long as possible; then slowly return to the circle
5. Blow out the candle, and burn it for an hour at each sunset until it is gone.
Bury the pomegranate deep in your garden, and keep a dream diary throughout the winter.
YOU WILL NEED
One charcoal disk in a fireproof dish
One purple candle
Two tablespoons of dried dittany of Crete
One whole pomegranate
One sharp knife
Reference:“The Spells Bible” Ann-Marie Gallagher