First Chakra (Feet to base of spine)
The first chakra represents our relationship with our physical bodies and with the material world. It grounds us in physical existence. When balanced, its energy helps us to blend the physical and spiritual, and to eliminate that which is no longer needed for growth. We enjoy physical existence. When unbalanced, we may be afraid of life, feel like victims, withdraw from physical reality, or operate in our own interests only. Physical symptoms can include any difficulties with feet, legs, or lower back.
Stones associated with the first chakra:
- Black tourmaline: This is a protective stone when you feel threatened at the survival level.
- Hematite: This stone helps you to set protective boundaries when you feel as if others are intruding into your private space.
- Black and snowflake obsidian help you to see what material things you no longer need for growth.
- Smoky quartz, the lightest of the dark stones, helps to blend the energies of the first and seventh chakras.
- Tiger’s eye helps you to feel secure about physical existence.
Any of these stones may be placed at the base of the spine or at the feet.