Magical Self-Defense and Protection
Many people involved in Pagan and Wiccan spirituality find themselves, at some point, worrying about magical attack. What if someone casts a spell on me? How will I know? What do I do? More importantly, how do I protect myself so that it doesn’t happen in the first place?
Well, first of all, relax. Chances are really good that you’re not going to be the victim of a magical attack at all. Here’s why: it takes a certain amount of skill and effort to magically attack someone with a curse or hex, and honestly, many people aren’t interested in putting forth that much work, and of those, many do not have the skill level required for a magical strike.
In other words, not everyone who talks the talk can walk the walk. That having been said, if someone is willing to put forth the effort and they have the ability to craft an effective spell, it’s possible you could be the victim of a deliberate, concentrated attack.
Be aware, also, that in most cases, someone who tells you they’ve hexed, cursed, or otherwise put a spell on you is the one least likely to be able to do so.
How Do You Know if You’re Under Attack?
What is a magical attack? It’s a curse or a hex, that’s designed to make things go badly for you. If there are other circumstances in place, it’s probably not a magical attack. Maybe you’re just having a run of bad luck. Sometimes, it’s just a matter of changing your lifestyle, or looking at mundane causes. Let’s take a look at how to tell if you’re under a magical attack. Ask yourself these questions:
- Is there someone in your life that you have angered or offended in some way?
- Is that person someone who has the magical knowledge to place a harmful spell on you?
- Is a hex or curse the only possible explanation for what is happening to you?
If the answer to all three is “yes”, then it’s possible you’ve been cursed or hexed. If that’s the case, then you need to take protective measures.
Many people also choose to use divination as a way of determining whether they’re the victim of a hex or a curse, but if you do this, bear in mind that your own fears and worries may effect the outcome. It’s better to have the divination done by an objective party who isn’t aware of your concerns. Ask a trusted friend to do the divination, and see if they come to the same conclusions that you have.
If you feel you’ve genuinely been the victim of a magical attack, the first thing to do is protect yourself from further mischief. Once you’ve done that, you need to get started on removal of the curse or hex. There are several methods of doing this. Some examples that may be used successfully include:
- Create a “magic mirror” spell which bounces the hex or curse back to its sender*
- Create a doll or poppet to take the damage in your place
- Perform a working that will remove negative influences from your life
- Use meditation, Reiki, chakra healing, or other energy work to lift the spell
For general protection, most people use a simple shielding method. This is a psychic shell that one draws around themselves. You can do this either by casting a circle of protection and recharging it periodically, or you can charge an amulet or talisman with protective properties. This will be an effective way of protecting you in the majority of magical attacks.
Property and vehicles can be protected as well. You can place a magical barrier or ward around your yard, keep a protective amulet or talisman in your car, or even set up a shield around your desk at work.
Herbs and Crystals of Protection
If you’re going to put together a working for magical protection, you may want to use some of these correspondences.
- Acacia: protects against psychic attack
- Agrimony: useful for returning harmful energy to its original source
- Basil: warns off negative magic
- Black thorn: reverses a spell
- Cayenne: returns negative energy to its source
- Coffee: neutralizes harmful magic
- Dragon’s Blood resin: protection
- Hyssop: purification and defensive magic
- Mugwort: protects against astral attack, or psychic attack in dreams
- Patchouli: returns harmful magic
- Solomon’s Seal: protects against negative energy
- St. John’s Wort: purifies and protects against psychic attack
- Vetivert: use to break a hex or curse
- Wormwood: use in uncrossing rituals, to remove hexes or curses upon you
- Yarrow: psychic protection
- Yucca: prevents attack via sympathetic magic
Crystals and Gemstones
- Amber: protects against psychic attack
- Amethyst: protects from negative energy
- Black onyx: protects against harmful magic
- Fire agate: for protection of the aura
- Hematite: use for protection of home and property, as well as to fend off psychic attack
- Malachite: repels hostile magical attacks
- Obsidian: provides protective energies
- Quartz: use to protect yourself from hexes or curses
- Ruby: use to defend against magical attacks related to emotions
- Selenite: for shielding against negative outside influences