Run with it
Let your life come fully and positively to life. You are here on this glorious day, so make the very most of it.
You have passions and interests, so pursue them. You have dreams and desires, so get busy and fulfill them.
You have unique perspectives and opinions, so express them. A magnificent, fascinating universe surrounds you, so experience it.
There are people about whom you care deeply. So give them your time, your attention, your love and fellowship.
You’ve already experienced yesterday, so don’t live it again today. This is a day to bring new and interesting and meaningful substance into your life.
On this very day you have the priceless opportunity to live. Take that opportunity, right now, and run with it as far and as high as you possibly can.
— Ralph Marston
The Daily Motivator
Connecting with the Divine
Performing a Hindu puja ritual is a wonderful way to experience direct communication with the divine.
Forging a spiritual connection with the divine is the ultimate goal of many forms of worship. In our devotions, we transcend the limitations of our humanity using prayers, rituals, and invocations, or we seek the celestial in sacred items such as statuary, imagery, or natural objects. In the Hindu tradition, worshipers bond with the divine through the puja ritual. The purpose of the ritual is to create an atmosphere in which humans and spiritual beings can enjoy communion with one another. Though participants show reverence for their chosen deities, puja serves to bring the former and the latter together on an energetic level. Performing a puja ritual is thus a wonderful way to experience direct communication with the divine.
There are no limits as to whom may serve as the focal point of your puja. You need only choose a spirit guide to commune with and an object to represent them. Preparing for the puja ritual, however, can take some time, depending on the number of devotional acts you will perform. A classic puja includes 16 acts, including meditation, chanting, the reading of sacred texts, offerings of food and drink, and cleansing. You may also wish to present gifts of incense, flowers, and jewelry during the ritual. An altar or table covered by an altar cloth provides space for the representation of the divine and the seat of the puja. To begin, prepare your offerings and place them to the right of the altar. Then center yourself and release any stress you may feel—the puja is meant to be a joyful experience. Typically, the ritual begins with the ringing of a bell and an invitation, and progresses from chanting to the cleansing and dressing of the deity to the offerings to meditation. You can modify your puja in any way you wish.
Though the elaborate puja rituals performed in Hindu temples take place at sunrise, noon, sunset, and midnight, puja performed in the home primarily takes place in the mornings and evenings. When your intention is to invite your spiritual guides into your home and heart, however, the time of day matters little. With practice, you will create a direct path to spiritual oneness that allows you to experience an amazing sense of closeness that reinforces your connection with the divine.
How to Live Your Life Without Regrets
By Phylameana lila Desy
Everyone has made poor choices or done something in their past that could possibly be labeled as “regrettable.” But, think about it. The fact that you are now able to look back and realize that a mistake or mis-step occurred means you have learned a valuable lesson. Some of my choices may have landed me in unpleasant circumstances, but experiencing these things certainly built my current character. I wouldn’t be where I am today if it weren’t for those character-building situations. Mistakes are stepping stones to an evolving life. No need for you to sink into regret or despair — keep your chin up.
Time Required: now and forever
- Acknowledge a mistake has been made – It is easy to play the blame game, pointing fingers at someone else or circumstances as to why you have stumbled or why your life is difficult. Taking personal ownership that your past actions resulted in bringing about your current reality is the first step to moving past regrets and moving toward a brighter future.
- Make amends – If your past actions or words have harmed another person an apology may be in order. Or not, apologies can be tricky. Judge for yourself if an apology will help matters or only drudge up old wounds better left alone. But, definitely forgive yourself! Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes. Continually berating yourself for past actions is self-defeating. Would you kick a dog while it was laying down? Of course not. Please don’t do this to yourself. Righting a wrong is not always feasible. If you feel badly about a past action you’ve taken that cannot be righted, forgive yourself, and let it go.
- Do-overs – Sometimes feelings of regret arise not from our past actions, but from our non-actions. Have you ever regretted not taking a vacation, staying stuck in a dead-end job, not attending college… or whatever? It may be too late to reverse those decisions, but you still have options. Some colleges offer free classes for seniors. You might not have the time, money, or physical endurance to travel, but you can rent movies or attend travelog showings about the regions you wish to learn more about. New opportunities are available around every corner if you just open your heart and follow your dreams.
- Be grateful – The most valuable lessons learned in life often come from the mistakes we make. It may take a walk down a dark alley to see clearly. Embrace your follies, feel gratitude for getting past the worst episodes and eventually finding your way along a less-cluttered path.
- Be careful not to repeat the same mistake – A skinned-knee teaches a small child not to run so fast. Slow-down. If you are repeatedly faced with similar difficulties over and over again, this is a sure bet that you have not learned the lessons these situations are trying to teach. Opportunity will surface only after you take responsibility for faulty actions taken and change your current and future behaviors accordingly.
- Be watchful of future knee-jerk reactions – This is probably the toughest step, not reacting negatively to situations or the people who tend to push your buttons. We don’t always have control over the things life tosses in front of us, but we do control our reactions. Stay calm. Introduce stress-management into your daily life. Meditation helps clear and focus the mind. Therapeutic play will help balance work-related stresses.
- Looking deeper inside – Re-evaluate the direction your life is taking. Have you accepted that your past mistakes are just that — in the past? Focus on today. Become aware of your future goals and desires. Setting clear intentions will help clear the path so that your life progresses with a freer heart and increased happiness. The best is yet to come! Believe it.
- Remember, nobody is perfect. Including yourself!
- Forgiveness is golden.
- Live for today. Yesterday was then.
A New Map of the Moon
NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter science team released the highest resolution near-global topographic map of the moon ever created. This new topographic map shows the surface shape and features over nearly the entire moon with a pixel scale close to 328 feet.
Although the moon is Earth’s closest neighbor, knowledge of its morphology is still limited. Due to the limitations of previous missions, a global map of the moon’s topography at high resolution has not existed until now. With LRO’s Wide Angle Camera and the Lunar Orbiter Laser Altimeter instrument, scientists can now accurately portray the shape of the entire moon at high resolution.
Astronomy Picture of the Day
Discover the cosmos!Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer.
2011 November 25
A Glimpse of CLIMSO
Image Credit & Copyright: Alain Sallez (picdumidi.org)
Explanation: A tantalizing glimpse inside this dome was captured after sunset at the mountain top Pic Du Midi Observatory in the French Pyrenees. But while most are just beginning their work at sunset, this observatory’s day was done. The instrument looming within is CLIMSO (for Christian Latouche IMageur Solaire), dedicated to exploring dynamic phenomena across the surface and atmosphere of the Sun. To image the solar atmosphere or corona, CLIMSO uses coronagraphs. Developed by French astronomer Bernard Lyot in the 1930s, coronagraphs block light from the center of the telescope beam to create an artificial solar eclipse and allow a continuous view of the solar corona. In this surreal twilight scene above a sea of clouds, the dome’s interior was revealed by the single, long exposure as the open slit rotated across the field of view.
Oh, what to do? One calendar invests today’s energies in ‘Black Friday’ pre-holiday sales, but other calendars call today ‘Buy Nothing Day.’ So you can clearly see my confusion. Maybe we should spend our time learning about what Feng Shui says about the color black in the hopes of making it work for you! As far as ‘Black Friday’ is concerned, retailers use this term to suggest that today you can take advantage of low prices to stay in the black by spending less green. But black has its own identity when it comes to how color affects the psyche and the subconscious. Black is the Feng Shui color of mystery and magic that also holds the ability to provide protection and power. The color of night as well as the universal void, Feng Shui suggests using black when you want to add depth, strength or definition to any space. Just remember that a little goes a long way, and never use it in a child’s room. But do use it when you want to ground energies. Black is often employed when attempting to activate the energies associated with career, self-esteem and destiny! Putting an image of a waterfall inside a black frame and hanging it in either your front hallway or your ‘Career’ area will bring a wave of job opportunities that will not only put you in the flow but also keep you in the black!
By Ellen Whitehurst for Astrology.com
You’re capable, realistic, and especially good at planning today. An important opportunity may present itself; however, it’s best to exercise skepticism. Review all facts attached to an offer or proposal. It’s quite possible that someone may be exaggerating or lying. If this is indeed the case, avoid emotional confrontations.
About the Number 4
Form, Work, Order, Practicality, Discipline
10: Treading Carefully
General Meaning: People of ability find their way and make progress even in difficult circumstances. Consider your steps carefully when you are surrounded by changing forces. Weak and strong forces (or people) can co-exist when the weaker element does not impose upon the stronger, when the weaker maintains good humor and avoids taking bold action. When treading among sleeping tigers — or slippery stones — step gingerly and don’t stumble.
In the company of strong, brash people, rushing wildly ahead brings misfortune. Now is not a good time for taking the initiative; rather, try getting by with a little grace and good humor. In the court of a powerful king, the jester often has more power than the prince.