I used to believe my great-grandmother was the first person on earth. She was so old, she HAD to be. Those deep lines carved around her eyes and mouth were a dead giveaway.
Turns out I was wrong. Unbelievably wrong. People have graced the vast grassy plains of this planet since long before even Nana’s great grandparents were alive (and there’s even a tortoise that’s older than her!).
Who knew? Well, I do now, and you can as well.
Here’s a complete ancient civilizations timeline — their names, dates, locations, and some bizarre bits of trivia about them — starting with one that was still flourishing only 600 years ago, and concluding with one still powering forward today.
Table of Contents
- 16. The Incan Civilization
- 15. The Aztec Civilization
- 14. The Roman Civilization
- 13. The Persian Civilization
- 12. The Ancient Greek Civilization
- 11. The Chinese Civilization
- 10. The Mayan Civilization
- 9. The Ancient Egyptian Civilization
- 8. The Norte Chico Civilization
- 7. The Danubian Culture, or Linearbandkeramik Culture
- 6. The Mesopotamian Civilization
- 5. The Indus Valley Civilization
- 4. The Jiahu Culture
- 3. ‘Ain Ghazal
- 2. The Çatalhöyük Settlement
- 1. Australian Aboriginals
- Other Notable Civilizations