Written By Priestess Hypatia
For Witches of the Craft
Burn and banish with Bay
Burning of bay leaf has been used for banishing negative energies and cleansing space for eons!
An herb with a beautiful ancient history bay leaf is used to communicate with the Gods themselves.
Bay leaf also known as laurel is a hardy evergreen tree with deep green foliage native to the Mediterranean region. When the leaves are dried they can be used in cooking, infusing the food in beautiful aromatic herbal earthy flavors or can also be used as an incense.
History- The first record of banishing using Bay Leaf:
This was the sacred plant of Apollo one that was used by the Pythia in the temple to Apollo at Delphi. It was Apollo’s desire and near obsession of the Nymph Daphne that drove Daphne’s father, who happened to be a river God, turning her into a bay tree to protect her from the lustful grasps of Apollo.
As a regret for his actions the God Apollo wore a crown of bay to banish his stupidity and to encourage valor and honor.
Below is a wonderful way to use bay leaf to bring positivity in your life. Incidentally you can also use it for divination by writing what it is you desire to see on the leaf.
For banishing however you can try this method below. I carry dried bay leaves in a small mojo bag to banish bad energy around me and keep me safe when I’m out and about.
- Ingredients- Dried Bay leaf, candle, fireproof bowl, lighter, pen.
- Set up you altar space as usuall and then with the fire and bowl (i use a copper bowl to harness the energy) to the right that would represent the bowl of salt and the bay leaf and marker to the left that would represent the athame and wand.
- Wrote the things you wish to banish, on one or so leaves. I like the number 3.
- Write- whatever it is that you want to banish, be gone, no longer need such as toxic relationships, toxic thoughts, toxic actions and habits, procrastination, fear, anger, temper etc, things that debilitate us in our life and stunt our growth.
- Light one by one and say “I release my attachment to old thoughts and patterns” (remember bay leaves catch on fire very quickly because of the volatile oils).
- Drop the bay leaf into the fireproof container ( be careful) and visualize all the negativity literally being banished in the plume of the bay smoke. This is the best bit. It can feel so liberating!
- Once this is done, dispose of the ashes outside of your home back into the earth to be neutralized by the Great Mother, and as you do say “Be gone” 3 times as loud as possible, releasing this negativity from your life for good!
Note: Begin to meditate by clearing your mind and relax into the stillness that you have created. Allow your thoughts to leave your head just like the smoke going up. Breathe in the feeling of peace, possibilities, and newness. Be alive, be aware and remember to be you.
It’s always good to replace the banished negativity with something positive. I find it easier by creating a happy memory, sing a little song, or ring some bells, my favourite is drumming. Some even like to dance. Bring a little cheer and happines into your home, mind, and body. This is where the change happens . For an extra relaxing experience I often like to take a bath after a ritual with beautiful essential oils.