Naudhiz may foretell needs unmet and friction in relationships. You may be in a time where you should be very careful in whatever endeavor you take on. Also it may be that you are about to learn some of life’s hard lessons and come out the other side of this period a stronger being.
Additional information about Today’s Runes, Naudhiz
nauþiz : need, necessity
Phonetic equivalent: n
- DIVINATORY MEANINGS:
- poverty, hardship, responsibility, discontent, obstacle, frustration
- MAGICAL USES:
- to represent a need to be filled
- ASSOCIATED MYTHS & DEITIES:
- Freyr & Gurd, the Otter’s Gold
- If hagalaz is a flying ladle, then nauþiz is the empty pot. It is a gentle, nudging reminder that all is not as it should be. Life appears to be out of synch, and nothing seems to be going right. No matter how much you have, it is never enough, and there is an ever present desire for something more, something better. On the positive side, this dissatisfaction with the status quo can serve to draw one away from the relative safety of wunjo and motivate towards change.Nauþiz represents an imbalance between one’s desires and one’s assets. How you resolve this situation will influence the rest of the journey, but the awareness of the imbalance itself can also be illuminating.
- It causes you to closely examine and perhaps reassess your values and priorities, and forces you back onto the path of your own happiness. Perhaps mythologist Joseph Campbell said it best when he enjoined us to ‘follow our bliss’; in other words, that we will know that we are on the right track spiritually when we are doing those things which make us the most happy and fulfilled. Nauþiz helps us to take the first step on that path by letting us know when we have strayed from it