Can I Ask You A Question?
by Taliesin Athor Govannon
I am a very public Pagan. I am a long-haired male, bearded, fond of dressing in black, with a rather large pewter pentagram (my only piece of jewelry…REALLY noticeable against a plain black background) around my neck. In other words, I’ve never tried to hide my identity as a Witch…my broom closet has screen doors in it!
Now, any of you other public types out there will know what I’m talking about when I say that I tend to get a LOT of questions from non-Pagans. (NOTE: Since there are some who dislike the terms “cowan” and “mundane”, I will henceforth refer to such people as “metaphysically challenged”) Some are rude, some are ignorant, and some are in a class of their own.
It can be difficult to know how to answer these people. After all, some of them may never get the opportunity to hang with real occult/Witch types, and probably wonder if we all work for those “1-900-YOU-PUTZ” type psychic lines. I, however, have quite a bit of experience interacting with such types, and have a huge collection of “Save your soul now” style pamphlets to prove it. As a public Pagan service (and also because I’ve been spending all of my time lately writing love songs to a beautiful blue-eyed Witch and thus have NO other ideas ready), I have decided to give you a list of my favorite questions from the metaphysically challenged, along with possible answers. (Please note that these are POSSIBLE answers, and I assume no liability for personal injury resulting from their use. Remember, it’s safer to be a smart-ass in print than it is in real life.)
Top Ten Questions From The Metaphysically Challenged
- “Is that there one of those quartz crystals around your neck?” (No, it’s a CIA transmitter…)
- (while pointing to any occult/Pagan book in your possession) “What do you have there?” (A BOOK…see the pretty words? Oooooooohhhhhhhh……..)
- (same as above) “What book you got there?” (“Build A Thermonuclear Weapon From Ordinary Household Goods In Three Days”…why?)
- “Are you going to Hell?” (No, but it’s on my way if you want dropped off…”)
- (While looking at pentagram) “Is that a satanic symbol?” (No, it’s a Masonic symbol…would you like to donate to Shriner’s Hospital?)
- “Do you believe in God?” (Which one?)
- “How does someone become a Witch?” (Well, first there’s the written exam, and then the swimsuit competition…)
- “Can you do a spell on me?” (Don’t tempt me, please…)
- (Pointing to pentagram) “What are you, Jewish?” (Shalom!!!)
- (A real experience) “Well, I like you…you seem like a nice person. I’m really worried about all of this occult stuff you’re into though…why don’t you come and talk to my pastor? He knows lots about occult stuff, and I think he can set you straight…you might even find Jesus! But before you do that, could you give me a Tarot reading???” (No, but I’ll give your pastor one…)
Blessed Bea (Andyyyyyyyyy!!!! Circle’s cast!!!!)
Taliesin Athor Govannon
Astronomy Picture of the Day
Discover the cosmos! Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer.
2016 July 27
M13: A Great Globular Cluster of Stars
Image Credit & Copyright: Dean Fournier; Inset: ESA/Hubble & NASA
Explanation: M13 is one of the most prominent and best known globular clusters. Visible with binoculars in the constellation of Hercules, M13 is frequently one of the first objects found by curious sky gazers seeking celestials wonders beyond normal human vision. M13 is a colossal home to over 100,000 stars, spans over 150 light years across, lies over 20,000 light years distant, and is over 12 billion years old. At the 1974 dedication of Arecibo Observatory, a radio message about Earth was sent in the direction of M13. The featured image in HDR, taken through a small telescope, spans an angular size just larger than a full Moon, whereas the inset image, taken by Hubble Space Telescope, zooms in on the central 0.04 degrees.
Your Charm for Today
Someone who will, or has told a lie about you regarding this aspect will be discovered and the truth will come out. They will suffer for their injustice and you shall prevail.
The blood of Isis, the virtue of Isis, the magic power of Isis, the magic power of the Eye, are protecting this the Great one; they prevent any wrong being done to him. Thus reads a portion of the 156th chapter of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, which was engraved, often with other invocations, on the Buckle of Isis amulets. Great faith was placed in the magic power of this buckle, or tie. It was believed that the wearer would be protected and guarded from every kind of evil for ever and ever.