Ease The Stress With Aromatherapy Massage
By Susan Stewart
Stress is the response that your body has to all the demands made upon it daily. Everyone has felt the effects of a stressful day in the muscles of the neck or back. Whether you have sore or tense muscles, tension headaches or anxiety, getting a massage can really help relieve all that stress.
Research shows that massage is effective care for a broad range of ailments, injuries and conditions, particularly for stress. Studies have shown that massage can help people who suffer with low-back pain, helps breast cancer survivors cope emotionally and physically and eases pain after bypass surgery. It can also help relieve symptoms associated with depression, insomnia, sinusitis and carpal tunnel snydrome.
Aromatherapy massage is a gentle massage using essential oils that are softening, healing, nourishing and rejuvenating to the skin. The general benefits of massage combined with the healing benefits of certain essential oils is very dynamic.
Because essential oils are absorbed through the skin and into the bloodstream, they affect the nervous system, as well as all other systems of the body. Here are some of the benefits that can be obtained massaging with essential oils:
* Improves circulation and lymphatic drainage, and helps to eliminate toxins from the body.
* Stimulates the immune system and strengthens resistance to disease.
* Aids digestion, eases constipation and relieves abdominal spasm.
* Lowers blood pressure and reduces stress levels; can be helpful with insomnia.
* Eases muscular aches and pains and promotes muscle relaxation.
* Releases endorphins, the brain’s natural opiates, which encourages a feeling of well being and confidence.
If receiving a massage isn’t possible, self massage can provide many benefits. It can be performed in the bath, car, bed, sitting at a desk, etc. The easiest areas to work are the neck, shoulders, arms, hands and feet.
Below are a few precautions regarding massage:
* Do not have a massage immediately after a meal or if you are feeling unwell or drained of energy.
* Massage should not be done over any areas of skin infection, rashes, cuts, sores, burns or varicose veins.