June 1: Jerusalem Day (Israel, 2011); International Children’s Day
- 1670 – Charles II and Louis XIV signed a secret treaty, wherein England would aid France in its war against the Dutch Republic in return for French assistance in England’s attempt to rejoin the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1916 – Louis Brandeis (pictured) became the first Jew to be appointed to the United States Supreme Court.
- 1942 – World War II: The crews of three Japanese Ko-hyoteki class submarines scuttled and committed suicide after entering Sydney Harbour and launching a failed attack.
- 1980 – CNN, the first network to provide 24-hour television news coverage, was launched.
- 2001 – Crown Prince Dipendra of Nepal killed King Birendra and several members of the Shah royal family in a shooting spree at the Narayanhity Royal Palace in Kathmandu.
- 2009 – En route from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, Air France Flight 447 crashed into the Atlantic Ocean, killing all 228 aboard.