THE CRYSTAL BALL
By far one of the most popular tools for scrying, the crystal ball has long been associated with predicting the future. Rarely is a fortuneteller , genuine or charlatan, portrayed without this magical
tool. Genuine crystal balls are made by taking the “heart” of a large natural quartz crystal and polishing it into a sphere. While their inspiring beauty and inherent conductivity is unsurpassed, these crystals can be quite expensive and difficult to obtain. Often, they are filled with numerous natural inclusions, or visible pathways of the internal crystal matrix. Some witches find that the clearer the crystal, the more useful it is for scrying. Others prefer the natural matrix of genuine quartz, as it lends itself easily to conjuring the mists. Leaded crystal is a more affordable alternative and provides an internally clearer orb. If clarity and affordability are your main requirements, you may wish to select an acrylic or Plexiglas ball. Visually, it will have much the same appearance as the leaded quartz, and though it is not made of natural material, it is very durable. Whatever type of crystal ball you choose, it is your concentration and the amount of energy that you put into it that will have the greatest impact on the success of your abilities than anything else.
1. Begin with a simple purification ritual, burning sage or incense or alternately using salt and water to banish unwanted influences.
2. Begin your meditative breathing exercises and prepare yourself for entering a trance-like state.
3. Place the crystal ball centered on your altar on a black cloth and sit comfortably before it, gazing into its center with concentrated effort. The cloth will prevent visual distractions from entering into your field of view.
4. It is so important to remain focused. Do not “zone out” and just stare at the crystal. Keep your eyes focused on the center and keep your mind attuned to the crystal. You must be an active participant in this process for it to work. You will soon know you are scrying correctly if the Goddess reveals a vision to you. Sometimes, a person will experience a glimpse of divine consciousness within the space of a few seconds. A vision or an omen may also manifest spontaneously. But often, the Goddess will not reveal an omen to someone who is not ready and prepared to receive it, just as pouring water into a covered jar will not fill the jar at all. Or alternately, a vision is granted but if the practitioner is unprepared, the meaning will be incomprehensible. The possibility of understanding the message will remain, but the result may be elusive. You already posses the innate capacity, but whether or not you can open yourself to receiving the vision depends entirely on you.
5. Hone your powers of concentration. Look deep into the center of the crystal , holding your gaze steady without allowing your eyes to lose focus or glaze over. Blink whenever necessary so that you do not strain your eyes. Try limiting the amount of time you spend on each scrying session so that you do not become immersed and lose sight of reality.
6. Use this chant , or any portion of it, to aid your focus:
Crystal river crystal moon
Blackest night and brightest moon
By my breath and by my broom
Hearken to the witch’s rune.
The mists of time may gather here
A thousand secrets to reveal
Mysteries to see and feel
Guided by the sacred wheel.
A question that I seek to know
As it is above, so be it below
Gentle as the candle’s glow
May the vision start to grow.
What was, what is, or what will be
Show me what I need to see.
By all the power of three times three
As my will, so mote it be.
7. As you gaze into the crystal, it will seem to fill with mist. The mist will swirl and fill the ball, giving it a smoky appearance. As the mists slowly dissipate, a picture will be revealed to you. The picture may be still or moving, black and white or in color. Much like a dream, the image will most likely need some kind of interpretation. It could be a vision from the distant or recent past, the present, or the future.
8. Write down the image that you see in your book of shadows, including any specific details that occur to you. These may prove to contain useful insights when you go to interpret what you have seen.
A Witch’s Grimoire: Create Your Own Book of Shadows
Judy Ann Olsen