Things You Need to remember when choosing a candle
1. Choose your candle type from the previous post, “Candles.”
2. Candles used for magic should always be virgin (unused) at the start of the working, unless you have deliberately cleared them of past influences. Using candles that have been previously lit can have a detrimental effect on your spell. They may have picked up influences from previous use.
3. Charge your candle before using it. This can be done by anointing it with oils associated with the magic you intend on performing, or by simply touching it and filling it with your own energy.
4. The oils used in the anointing of your candle should, where possible, always be natural fragrances. Whilst charging the candle, smooth from top to bottom when drawing energy toward you, bottom to top when sending energy outwards. Particularly when anointing candles for altar use, anoint from the middle to the top and from the middle to the bottom to signify the union of spiritual and physical realms.
5. If you enjoy craftwork, it is a very good idea to make your own candles for magical use. A whole art in itself, you infuse your candles with your own energy and thus increase the magical potency of the candle many times over. It is relatively easy to make your own candles: simply heat the wax until it is liquid and pour into a mould which is threaded with a wick. The wax should now be left to cool, after which the mould can be removed. Oils and colours can be added for extra potency.
Many different colours are used in candle magic and overleaf are listed the most common ones, along with their key associations and purposes. You may not wish to use black candles because of their association with the darker side of magic. If so, dark grey is a good substitute.